These BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are the perfect homemade comfort food. This recipe is part of our Whole 30 compliant Freezer Cooking Class, and has quickly become a favorite. The warm individually-portioned sweet potatoes contain the perfect balance of sweetness, spiciness, and a little creamy (dairy-free) ranch dressing tops them off perfectly.
I make a dozen at a time, using my Instant Pot (read more about the Instant Pot here) to cook the chicken as the homemade BBQ sauce simmers and the sweet potatoes bake. If you’re not feeding a crowd, these freeze well, and are the perfect portable meal. Ranch dressing complements these flavors deliciously, the recipe for dairy-free ranch is here.
- 1 pound whole chicken chicken (find organic chicken here)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Filtered water or 2 cups chicken stock (you can buy here)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12 sweet potatoes (10 lbs- depending on size)
- 12 oz tomato paste (buy here)
- 20 oz canned pineapple, crushed or chunks, in its own juice
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock (you canbuy hereor make here)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (Learn how you can get a free bottle of Olive Oil - click here )
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (you will add more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- ¼ to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on how hot you want your BBQ sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, diced (or ½ a large)
- This recipe has 3 parts, but they are all done at one time. We get our chicken browning in the Instant Pot, then scrub and bake our sweet potatoes, then start the BBQ sauce. To watch this all happen in video format, step by step, check our our Freezer Cooking Class.
For the shredded chicken
- Preheat Instant Pot to Saute and add 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or tallow, lard, or other animal fat).
- Remove giblet package.
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon sea salt and ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon thyme on chicken.
- Brown breast side down on Saute function for 6 minutes. Cover with splatter guard if needed. Flip
- Smash garlic, place in instant pot and add apple cider vinegar. Add broth or water.
- Cover with lid and cook at high pressure using manual setting for 25 minutes and let pressure release naturally.
- Allow to cool until comfortable to touch.
- Shred chicken in stand mixer or with a hand-held mixer.
- Remove any remaining bones and cartilage and reserve for stock
- Add half of BBQ sauce to start then taste test for salt and heat. Adjust with more salt or seasoning if needed. Mix until shredded and sauce is mixed well.
For the Sweet Potatoes
- Scrub, poke, and bake sweet potatoes at 400 for 45-75 minutes (depending on size).
- Check every 15 minutes after 45 minutes and remove when sweet potatoes are soft and give easily when pushed gently.
- Bake right on the rack - put the baking sheet or a piece of foil to catch drips on the rack under (but not on the bottom of the oven).
- Cool sweet potatoes. Slice down the middle and stuff with BBQ shredded chicken
For the BBQ Sauce
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and simmer on medium low heat. Use the immersion blender to blend until pineapple is completely pureed. Continue to simmer on low heat until needed for chicken.
Sign up for the Freezer Cooking Class here
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.