Seasoned with flavors from Brazil, this Brazilian Chicken with Coconut Sauce over cauliflower rice is a quick dish to whip up, with a exotic flavors (and not too much heat) for your family dinner table.
The chicken is pressed into the spice mixture, and then fried in coconut oil. We use the same pan for the chicken as the sauce, to capture all those savory bits and juice from the chicken while saving dishes.
Turmeric is a wonderful spice to use, as it has many health benefits. Usually in more spicy dishes, this is a great dish to get turmeric in your family regularly even if they don’t like spicy foods.
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (omit if you want to avoid spicy)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (1.5 lbs) (find organic chicken here)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Cauliflower Rice:
- 1 tablespoon butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 pound cauliflower, riced (grated)
- Coconut Sauce:
- 1 onion
- 1 knob ginger, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, or 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk (find coconut milk here)
- In a shallow pan, mix cumin, coriander, turmeric, cayenne (opt), salt, and pepper. Press chicken into the spice mixture until evenly coated. Allow to sit in the pan that the spices were mixed in as the oil heats.
- In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat.
- After 5 minutes, when oil is melted and skillet is hot, place chicken in skillet, not overlapping but it can be touching.
- Cook chicken 10-15 minutes on each side, until no longer pink in the middle.
- As chicken cooks, melt butter, ghee, or coconut oil for the cauliflower rice in a medium skillet over medium-low heat
- Rice cauliflower (grate in food processor) if needed, and then add to melted butter.
- Cook cauliflower rice uncovered, stirring every 5 minutes with a spatula to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Remove chicken once cooked, set aside.
- To the pan that the chicken was cooked in, add chopped onion. Sautee for 5 minutes, until soft, then add tomatoes and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Add in coconut milk and cook 1-2 more minutes, stirring to combine well. Cauliflower rice will be done cooking by now as well.
- Serve chicken over cauliflower rice, topped with coconut sauce.
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.