This rich and hearty dairy-free salmon chowder uses the finest wild-caught salmon with lots of hearty winter vegetables for nutrient-dense chowder. We made it rich in healthy fats that keep our body running smoothly and allow for the absorption of all the needed nutrients in the fish and vegetables by using coconut milk.
Surprisingly, the coconut milk is barely detectible in this soup- coconut tends to give lots of flavor to recipes, but salmon gives even MORE flavor, making this dairy-free chowder perfect for those who usually aren’t fans of coconut.
This soup can be made ahead, and reheated when it’s time to serve.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, or 2 slices bacon, chopped (find sugar-free bacon here)
- ¾ lb wild caught salmon, raw or cooked (find here)
- ½ head cauliflower
- 1 celery root
- 2 large carrots
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 medium leek
- 2 cups chicken, beef, or fish stock (recipe here)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (find coconut milk without guar gum here)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne, or red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- In the bottom of a large saucepan over medium heat, melt bacon fat or chop bacon into ½ inch slices and cook until crispy.
- While the bacon cooks, cut cauliflower into ½-inch pieces, peel and cut celery root into ½ inch cubes, cut carrots and celery stalks into small pieces and add to bacon fat and optional bacon, stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula occasionally to prevent burning.
- Cut both ends off the leek, rinse, and cut the white and light green part into thin rounds. Add to the vegetable mixture.
- After all the vegetables are chopped, add stock, coconut milk, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is easily pierced with a fork.
- Add salmon and cook for another 10-15 minutes, covered, or until salmon is cooked through and can be flaked easily with a fork. Break up salmon.
- Serve, topping with the leaves of fresh thyme.
Free Ebook this month only: 20 Grain-Free Breakfast Recipes
20 Delicious Breakfast Recipes suitable for GAPS and Paleo diets!