Until this week, I swore that we never got sick if we took elderberry daily. It really does work well as an immunity booster for our family, but a couple late nights and cold season combined, my daughter came down with the sniffles despite my purple concoction. Anyway, my son and I haven’t gotten sick, which I think still shows that elderberry does something!
We were using elderberry syrup, but I went ahead and simplified the recipe and turned it into gummies to easily get a serving in each day. The syrup is good, the kids love the gummies though, and they can double as bribes when needed. I keep them in the fridge, these don’t have as much gelatin in them as other gummie recipes, they’re more like a very firm gelatin than a fruit snack. Easy for little mouths to chew.
Some notes: Honey is not recommended for children under 1 year of age due to the very small risk of botulism. Nursing mothers may wish to take these to boost their own immunity, but would want to speak with a trusted healthcare professional first. Check with your healthcare professional before using any herbs or supplements. I’m not a medical professional, I’m a mom. This works for me and my family, but not everyone.
2-1/2 cups filtered water (click here for berkey water filters target=”_blank”>buy water filters here)
1/3 cup dried elderberries (buy dried elderberries here)
1/2 cup honey (buy honey here)
1 teaspoon vanilla, optional (buy real vanilla here)
1/2 cup gelatin (buy grassfed beef gelatin here)
- Make a tea out of the elderberries: Bring water to a boil, then add elderberries and simmer for 5 minutes, or until dark in color.
- Drain, reserving the liquid. You should have about 2 cups.
- Add in honey and vanilla and allow to cool.
- Stir in gelatin (it’s easier to stir into room temp liquid) until all clumps are out and mixture is uniform.
- Heat in a saucepan over medium-low until gelatin is all dissolved.
- Pour into a glass container to set.
- Allow to set in the fridge.
- Cut into approx 1/2 inch by 1 inch cubes, or as desired.
- Take one or more daily, as desired.
- Store in the fridge.
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.