This bright golden dal soup is a flavorful burst of sunshine on a cloudy day. Made with yellow lentils (dal), the warming flavors of garlic and ginger, inflammation-busting and mood-enhancing turmeric, and other delicious ingredients, you’ll love serving this sunshine in a bowl.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (buy here)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 1-1/2 cup yellow lentils, also called Dal (buy here)
- 3 cups Chicken or Beef Stock (Recipe here, Buy here)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk (buy here)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt, or adjust to taste
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes (buy here)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- In the bottom of a large stock pot or in your Instant Pot on the Saute function, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and ginger root and saute until onion starts to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add turmeric, red pepper flakes, and shredded carrots and saute until carrots are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Once the carrots are soft, add lentils, stock, and water, cover pot, and simmer over medium heat until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Instant pot directions: Cover, set vent to 'seal', and cook on manual for 10 minutes.
- As the lentils cook, toast coconut flakes in a dry skillet over medium high heat, shaking every 30 seconds, until edges start to turn golden brown. Remove from heat once toasted and set aside.
- After lentils are cooked and coconut flakes are toasted, add the canned coconut milk to the lentils and use an immersion blender to puree to desired consistency. I like to leave about half the lentils whole, and only puree so half is smooth.
- To serve, ladle lentil mixture in bowls, top with extra coconut milk if desired, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and toasted coconut flakes.
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.