While you can use your Instant Pot for many things, it’s really excels at making a delicious stew. Stew meat, a cheaper cut for those who are watching their budget, turns tender and flavorful with just minutes of pressure cooking.
The chunky vegetables give this stew color, flavor, and structure- we opted to omit any thickener (traditionally corn starch) to keep this hearty paleo stew allergy friendly and super easy to prepare.
New to the Instant Pot? Click here to learn more about this time-saving appliance.
This recipe serves a crowd, and gets even better re-heated the next day as leftovers. Feel free to adjust the veggies to what you have on hand and your family’s preferences.
Why the Instant Pot?
I love making this in my Instant Pot, since it’s easy to brown the stew meat right in the bottom before adding the other ingredients- and then it’s ready in less than an hour. This method is faster than the slow cooker that needs to work all day to tenderize the tough beef.
- 2 pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes (find grassfed beef here)
- 1 tablespoon tallow or other cooking fat (find grassfed tallow here)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt (find sea salt here)
- 2 large onions, chopped into one-inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and chopped into one-inch pieces
- 6 stalks celery, scrubbed and chopped into one-inch pieces
- 1 six-ounce can tomato paste (find tomato paste here)
- 2 cups homemade chicken or beef stock, unsalted (find recipe for easy chicken stock here) (purchase organic chicken stock here)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat Instant Pot to Saute - High and melt fat in the bottom.
- Once the fat is melted, add beef and sprinkle beef with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef on all sides, stirring every 5 minutes or so with a wooden spoon. Beef should be brown in about 15 minutes. Chop your vegetables while you brown the meat.
- Add onion, carrots, and celery and stir to mix.
- Pour tomato paste, chicken broth, and apple cider vinegar over the top, stirring again with the spoon to mix.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and cook on manual- 45 minutes.
- After cooking, allow pressure to release on its own. You can use the quick-release valve if you are in a hurry.
- Serve and enjoy!
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.