It was 18 minutes from the time I walked in the kitchen to the time that this creamy home-cooked deliciousness was scooped out into bowls. We always cool piping hot macaroni and cheese with frozen peas, a tradition I carried into my home from my childhood.
Add an additional 5 minutes under the broiler for a crispy breadcrumb top- still completely doable for a fast meal.
This macaroni and cheese is made in the Instant Pot for a quick one-dish meal.
I love this Instant Pot Mac n Cheese for a few reasons:
- It’s fast and contained. No more pasta water boiling over onto the stovetop.
- It’s truly a one-dish meal. You don’t even need to dirty a colander!
- Because you measure the liquid that cooks the pasta exactly, you can replace some of it with chicken stock and it’ll be absorbed into the pasta.
- You control the ingredients. Use the quality and type of cheese that you prefer, your own milk.
- It is inexpensive. As my children have grown, we do occasionally get Annie’s Gluten Free Mac n Cheese, but we end up using 2 full boxes and having no leftovers. This recipe makes enough for dinner tonight, and a couple thermoses full for lunch tomorrow.
Mac n Cheese is a favorite that can be completely nourishing while still being fast, easy, and inexpensive. We set the Instant Pot to cook for 4 minutes, but it does take time to come to pressure and for the pressure to release, so allow about 15 minutes to cook the pasta, even though I only listed 4 minutes of cook time.
- 1 pound (4 cups) gluten-free elbow macaroni (I have triedrice/quinoa pastaandbrown rice pasta)
- 1 cup chicken stock (if you don't have chicken stock, use an additional cup of water)
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (prepared, not powdered)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup full fat milk or cream
- 6-8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Optional: ¼ cup gluten-free panko crumbs (find here)
- Mix macaroni through butter in the instant pot.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, 4 minutes.
- Quick release after timer goes off.
- Set to sauté/low.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in cheese ¼ at a time.
- Turn off heat and serve!
- Optional breadcrumb topping: Transfer after adding all the cheese to a 1.5 to 2-quart broiler-safe dish. Top with ¼ cup breadcrumbs and broil on high for 5 minutes, or until crumbs start to brown.
Note: The top picture uses rice pasta, yellow cheddar cheese, and bread crumbs. The video shows quinoa pasta and white cheddar.
Sign me up!
Get your free ebook by entering in your information below.