Napa chicken salad is a fast meal to pop in the slow cooker. It is a ‘set it and forget it’ recipe that doesn’t require any cooking that morning. The bone-in chicken has an amazing flavor, and you can change up the dried fruit to what you have on hand or for different flavor combinations. We love raisins, dried pears, dried apricots, and even figs!
Make this with winter cabbage, either Napa or the less common (but all they had at the store when I videoed this), Savoy. Both cabbages have lovely crinkly leaves, and hold the rich and delicious ‘salad dressing’ that comes from the chicken drippings.
Equipment used in this recipe:
- 4-6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (2 lbs)
- ¼ cup dried fruit (raisins used here)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 savoy or napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
- To shrink your slow cooker: Fill slow cooker ¼ full with hot water. Place an ovenproof bowl (pyrex or stainless) inside on top of the water that will still allow your lid to close.
- Place chicken, dried fruit, and sea salt in bowl within slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4.
- Remove bowl from water, dump out water, and place chicken in the still-warm slow cooker crock.
- Use two forks to shred chicken and dried fruit, set aside bones to make stock another time.
- Slice cabbage thinly, into 1.5 inch by ½ inch (approx) pieces.
- Combine sliced cabbage, chicken, dried fruit, and the drippings from cooking the chicken into a delicious salad.
- Top with additional apple cider vinegar if desired.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Grain-Free Holiday Desserts, Breakfasts, and Side Dishes
Candied Butternut Squash, Zesty Lime Custard, Honey-Sweetened Pecan Pie, Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce, and 10 more holiday recipes that you'll love for the way they taste and the way they make you feel.