Beets, with their bright red color and earthy sweet flavor make a lovely winter salad. This salad keeps well, I recommend doubling or tripling the recipe to enjoy all week long. Beetroots traditionally are used to cleanse the liver, for heart health, and toxin reduction.
There are many medical studies that also show the health benefits of beet consumption (source), and I encourage you all to give this delicious fresh salad a try this winter!
- 4 large beets (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup olive oil (find fresh pressed olive oil here)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, diced, or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon raw apple cider vinegar
- Scrub beets, and peel using a high-quality vegetable peeler.
- Use a large knife to cut beets into bite-size pieces.
- Steam in a steamer basket on the stovetop for 10-18 minutes, or until fork-tender but not mushy or in the Instant Pot for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool until comfortable to touch as to not kill off the raw enzymes in the apple cider vinegar.
- Toss with olive oil, basil, sea salt, and apple cider vinegar.
- Serve still warm, or chill and serve.
- Store leftovers in the fridge, covered.
Getting back in the hang of eating more seasonal vegetables this winter?
Here are 3 more winter salads you are sure to enjoy!
Cabbage-Apple Slaw with homemade yogurt dressing
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.