My mom’s birthday falls on the 24th of December, and burnt out from the rich chocolately treats associated with the holiday season, she usually requests something lighter as her birthday dessert. Even in our home, we opt for this delicious lime-flavored custard to make the evening special on Christmas Eve.
If you’d like to make an adaptation, I recommend adding a crust to this, and pouring this custard filling into a partially-baked pie crust and then baking, cooling, and topping with whipped cream.
This can be topped with whipping cream, cultured cream (for GAPS), or whipped coconut cream (for GAPS, dairy-free, and paleo).
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ½ teaspoon lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup coconut cream (the thick cream from the top of a can of coconut milk)
- Optional:Coconut Whipped Cream
- Preheat slow cooker to high and fill with ½ inch hot tap water. Alternatively: Preheat oven to 375* and prepare a water bath by filling 2 shallow casserole dishes with ½ inch hot tap water.
- Mix the lime juice, lime zest, egg yolks, whole eggs, honey, and 1 cup coconut cream until well combined.
- Pour into custard cups
- Bake in a water bath until set, or steam in slow cooker until set (custard cups can be stacked in the slow cooker). For the oven this will take about 1 hour 15 minutes and for the slow cooker on high it will take between 3 and 4 hours.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge.
- Top with coconut whipped cream as desired.
Grain-Free Holiday Desserts, Breakfasts, and Side Dishes
Candied Butternut Squash, Zesty Lime Custard, Honey-Sweetened Pecan Pie, Slow Cooker Cranberry Sauce, and 10 more holiday recipes that you'll love for the way they taste and the way they make you feel.